Sunday, September 21, 2014

Batman meets Frozen



            Gotham was quiet, on the edge of the park. I, Batman enjoyed a hot dog from Joe’s Hot Cart on the edge of the park. Joe made a good dog, because his dog’s were red while everyone else’s were brown. As I stood on the edge of a building waiting for the sun to go down over Gotham, I spotted a little girl. The girl was skipping down the side walk along the park. She was dressed in blue with blonde hair. When the little girl got closer, I heard her singing, “I’m going to see Frozen, I’m going to see Frozen, I’m go to see Frozen, on Ice.”
            “What in the blue blazes? Frozen on Ice?” I muttered with a questionable look.
            “Joey, finish your lunch. We’re going out,” mom yelled.
            “Where we going?” I asked as I pulled up my utility belt.
            “We’re going to see Frozen silly,” Jenny almost yelled barely able to contain her excitement about going.
            “Frozen? Frozen what?”
            Mom leaned down to explain, “Joey, we’re all going to see Disney’s Frozen on Ice at the Portland Civic Center, so we need to get going.”
            “Do I have to change into mild mannered Joey Stein or can I still be The Batman?” I asked hopping I could hide myself behind the mask.
            “That’s fine Joey,” Mom said.
            We arrived at the Civic Center in the Bat van, Mom, Jenny in her blue princes dress, and me, Batman. As we got closer to the entrance I saw multiples of Jenny a sea of, blue dressed girls. It was scary, I stopped counting blue dresses at about 50. While my family stood in line waiting to get in, a little girl, younger than my sister, pulls on my cap.
            “I’m Elsa, the Ice Princess. Who are you supposed to be?”
            I looked down at the cool aid faced little girl and said, “I’m Batman.”
            “Okkkkkk, but Batman’s not in Frozen?”
            “Can you keep a secret, little princess?” I asked.
            The little girl knotted her head really fast. “I’m here to find the Iceman and bring him to justice.”
            “Who’s the Iceman?”
            “The Iceman makes everything cold and he likes to hang out in cold places like an ice show,” I said with a smile.
            “Ooooooooooo, ok,” The little girl turns around and looks at her mother and says, “Mom! Mom, the bat kid in front of me told me a secret. He said he was looking for some Icemen or was it ice cream?”
            We came up to the ticket person and they said, “Sorry ma’am, you have blue ice tickets which means you need to have princess dresses to get the discounted seats. My mother looked at the man taking tickets and said, “But, he’s a boy and not a girl!”
            “Sorry lady, I don’t make the rules, the Batboy here.” Pointing at me, “He’s going to have to have a dress or you won’t go in with the bat.”
            I was beyond insulted. I told the ticket guy, “He buddy, I’m Batman, not Batboy!”
            “Mommy, we can’t miss the show. You told me we were going to see Frozen,” Jenny piped up.
            The ticket man said, “Look lady, over by the entrance is a merchant’s booth with dresses and other items that you might find that will help. You may even find a dress that will fit The Batman here.”
            “That’s right, buddy you got it,” I said. My mother leaned down to meet me eye to eye and said, “Joey…. I need a favor from you.”
            “Mom, you already asked me to wear a dress once already,” I said.
            “Look Joey, do it for your little sister you know how much she likes Frozen.” Mom asked.
            “But, Mom!!!”
            “You know something, if Batman was asked to help out a little girl he would do it.”
            I looked at Mom in the face and said, “Why did you have to say that, now I’m going to have to wear the dress.”
            “Sorry.. Joey.”
            “I have some conditions Mom.”
            “Tell me, what are they?”
            “1st I’m not taking off my mask and second I get to pick out my own dress.”
            “OK batman, you’re a good brother and an even better son.”
            “Thanks, Mom.”

            Even though I got a lot of strange looks as the Batman in a blue dress, I found that the Frozen show was pretty good. Also, my little sister told me I was the greatest brother and she gave me a long hug. Then she really made Batman’s day with her comment that I looked nice in a blue dress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment