Sunday, August 31, 2014

Phone Zombies



       
    The day started like any other, Mom made breakfast. As Jenny and I sat eating our breakfast Mom slowly pulled out her cell phone and started looking at it. Mom had one of those smart phones that could go online and do half a dozen other things. The phone was one of those deals Dad got, I think like a buy one get one free thing.
                At one point, I needed some more juice, so I asked Mom, “Mom, I need some more Juice.”
                Mom said, “OK, just one minute.” She never looked up.
 Two minutes went by and again I asked, “Mom, it’s been two minutes, I need some juice over here!”
Mom still looking at her phone said, “OK” and still didn't move or take her eye off the phone.
Jenny asked, “What’s wrong with Mommy?”
“I don’t know,” I said with a questionable look.
Just then Dad came down and he was looking at his phone. “Hey, Dad can you help me, I need some more juice and Mom’s not responding. I think she’s glued to that phone you got her.”
Dad didn't even look up from his phone and said, “OK, I've got to go to work.” And Dad walk out the door.
Jenny looked at me and I look at her and she said, “What is going on, Joey?”
“I don’t know, Jenny?”
Just after Dad walked out the door, Elizabeth, my big sister came down with her phone in hand.
“Hey, Sis, can you get me some more juice,” I asked hoping she would help me out.
“Sure, look in the refrigerator,” she said not even looking up from her phone. I hit my head with my right hand and thought what a kid has to do to get a glass of juice. The front door slams shut and I looked over at where Mom was sitting and she was gone.  My big sister was gone to. I looked at my little sister and said, “Where home alone, O’ no!!!”
All my little sister did was scream. After about an hour of blood curdling screaming she stopped. I made us PB and J sandwiches for lunch. By late afternoon the Phone zombies showed up still glued to their phones. Jenny and I were fed dinner. It wasn't pretty. Night fell upon the house and everyone was in bed. That night I rounded up all the cell phones and dumped them in the toilet. To make sure they wouldn't use the phone again I sat down on the toilet and released the Kraken upon them. I even left the toilet seat up while the whole soupy mess stewed overnight.    

Come morning, I got my point across and Dad had to buy new phones for everyone.   

1 comment: